Barangay Profile – San Martin
SAN MARTIN HISTORY TAGOLOAN-VILLANUEVA MISAMIS ORIENTAL
The present name of the barrio is SAN MARTIN, but its original name was SIL-IPON, which comprises the sitios of Dal-ug, Buguak, Cogon, Gangha-an, Bakong-bakong, and the barrio proper.
SIL-IPON – meaning TO DEEP. Before the Spaniards came, Sil-ipon was a thick forest inhabited by Bukidnons or Gali. Bandits or Magahats usully made this as a hiding place, watching for travelers that passes by. Bandits usually climbed trees and made these as their hiding place and when they saw a stranger they immediately threw their spear to the passer by and thus killing him. They would take advantage over the victim’s provisions and other personal belongings. Later, travelers, especially soldiers were warned about the danger of the place. As soon as the latter came to the place, they would be on the look out in the vicinity observing and if they realized that it’s safe to cross, they immediately run crossing the notorious place of bandits.
In the year 1860, a Spanish priest called Father Martin came to Christianized the natives. It did not take long to win the friendship of the natives. He called the place in honor to his patron saint St. Martin whom he believed to have assisted him in his mission. In the same year another settler came from Cebu whom the people called Señior Copio (Procopio) Alcantara. Thru him the natives ordered a statue of St. Martin which is now the patron saint of the barrio.
DAL-UG – (meaning LOWLAND) Fr. Martin remained in the place. The natives cut down big trees and built chapel and school building one after the other in the year 1861. The priest found out that San Martin is composed of upland and low land. School and Chapel were built in the upland while the materials were taken from the lowland. When the captain asked where they got the materials, the labourers would answer that they got it in DAL-UG, thus giving the name of the place.
BUG-UAK – (meaning coming out by surging) San Martin has a deep wide lake which during the early days the people crossed by means of rafts. It was infested with leeches, turtles, snails called Kalamboay and Ponggok. (Kalamboay is better than the Ponggok). This lake originated from a big spring somewhere in the mountain, 5 kilometers from the heart of the barrio. This spring comes out in spout (bug-uak). The place around this lake is also called Bug-uak.
The date of the establishment is 1860 (Spanish Regime).
The original families were the DONGLAS, DAYA, LINGGUMAN, LUGUSON, MANSAYAWON, LACARON, MAHAL, CAMPUS and the BIOJAN.
LIST OF TENIENTE DEL BARRIO IN EARLY YEARS
- Crisanto Daya
- Agustin Cabunoc
- Candido Donglas
- Crisanto Sabio
- Constancio Villegas
- Jose Daya
- Licerio Casiño
- Epenito Casiño
- Jeric G. Emano
Just across the culvert of San Martin from Tagoloan, the first chapel was built under the Santol tree in 1860 – 1865. In 1866 the chapel was transferred in the site of Mr. Martin Casiño.
The School was also erected within the present school site. Remains of the school are marked by cement which was the first floor of the school building. This school building was used from 1866 to 1939. Remains of the old chapel are marked by a post still standing near the new chapel.
FACTS AND INCIDENTS AND EVENTS:
1865 – Formal Spanish religious instructions were introduced, natives were taught to read the CARTILLA so as to enable them to read the novenas. Discipline was rigid. The early Spanish Teacher were LEON NAMANAMA, JUANA FLORES, CRISPINA ACAC, VICENTE SOTTO, SR. From Cebu, JACOBA CARANI, ROMANA FABELA, BUENAVENTURADA BABATE, CONSUELLANA DAYA, (MRS. LLENARES).
1906 – Formal Religious instructions ended.
1907 – Establishment of the early American Education. And the early English Teachers were Jose Valdehuesa, Julian Valdehuesa, Martin Martinez – Valmores, and Francisco Valdehuesa.
1932 – A semi-permanent building was built out of political asset thru the initiative of Santiago Casiño, as the voice of San Martin. The construction was completed in 1933.
1935 – Another building was erected and the construction was managed by Mr. Melicio Factura. The following year the school was able to accommodate the pupils from neighbouring barrios of Balacanas, and Sta. Cruz.
1938 – Another School Room was added allowing the school to open grade five (5) by 1939.
1941 – World War II broke out. People were forced to leave their homes and fled to the mountains.
1942 – The Japanese occupied the town of Tagoloan. People got tired of saying in the mountains so they sometimes come down to visit their homes.
1943 – May 27 –Some families were caught by Japanese patrol and concentrated in the house of Mrs. Prosida Fabela. They were freed later because the “Guerillas” did not attack them. Some of the captured families were; Mr. & Mrs. Santiago with four children, Mr. Candido Donglas, Mr. Francisco Daya and Family, Mr. and Mrs. Anastacio Villegas with three children.
THE WAR DESTRUCTIONS ON 1896 – 1900 AND 1941 – 1945
1896-1900 – Through these years, did not work much have to the barrio. Few houses only were destroyed and not a single life was perished. The tranquillity of the barrio was not daunted by the terrible catastrophe that other places had. The people in their belief owe this to their patron saint, SAN MARTIN.
1941 – 1945-Of all the wars and petty ones they had not in their lives, this they declare is the greatest and most terrible of all the wars. It was a total disruption of their living condition.
When the Japanese were in the mainland and occupation forces were distributed for the maintenance of peace and order and proclaiming that they were brothers of the Asians, the people in the barrio instead of heeding the call of brotherhood, hid in the forest. The barrio was then luckily not touched by the Jap’s hand of destruction except from the reckless vandalism of the civilians who now and then would visit the barrio. As the barrio is unimportant for the both the Japanese and Filipino soldiers they did not put any stations, but patrol of the Japanese reached this place often. One time they caught some civilians. Five of them were killed and the rest manhandled or taken under their servitude.
THE PATRON SAINT’S WONDER
When the image of San Martin was newly installed in the barrio, smallpox broke out. The epidemic was terribly great. Balacanas, Tambobong and Domo were greatly affected. Every day the cemetery of San Martin was filled with people.
Coming from the farm nearby, a couple met an old man walking. His clothes were full of amorsicos and he was sweating. The couple asked the old man where he was going and he answered that he was to treat who were sick with the disease. When the old man was away, the couple seem to have recognizes his face. So they went to the church to look at the face of the patron saint. Their great surprised it was the same face and the robe was full of amorsicos. They believed then and there that San Martin was helping them because there were lesser death in the barrio and those other places.
Another story goes this way. The barrio was threatened with a big storm. The Pugaan River overflowed its bunk. It was a big storm for the water had already reached the house of Mr. Jose Camarillo. The houses in Dal-ug were already carried by the flood. The water seemed to increased, and an old women in the barrio, Bunaventurada Babate, took the patron saint to the edge of the rising flood. Here she dipped the patron saint three times, that the cane fell into the water and was only found the following morning, and the water slowly ebbed until the flood stopped.
Since then, its diseases or storms and flood threatened the barrio they asked their patron saint to help them. This is done by holding a procession around the BARRIO of SAN MARTIN.
BARANGAY COUNCIL OF SAN MARTIN – CY 2018-2020