Vision

A typical Agro-Industrial Barangay having a conducive place to live-in, healthy, environmentally friendly, ecologically balanced, sufficient and dynamic leaders and a peace loving society.

Mission

To be able to provide the basic services in our constituents by implementing the adequate plans, projects and activities in order to have a wide array of community developments.

Barangay Profile – Balacanas

PROVINCE:MISAMIS ORIENTAL
MUNICIPALITY:VILLANUEVA
LEGAL BASIS/YEAR OF CREATION:RA 3590-1954
TOTAL LAND AREA:10.0193 HECTARES
TOTAL NO. OF PUROK:7 PUROKS
TOTAL POPULATION:1762
TOTAL NO. OF HOUSEHOLD:397
TOTAL NO. OF PRECINTS:8
TOTAL NO. OF VOTERS:1152
IRA:3.1 MILLION
TRANSPORTATION:SINGLE MOTOR, MOTORIZED SIKAD, MULTICAB
SOURCE OF INCOME:EMPLOYMENT (SKILLED WORKER)
CONTRACTUAL WORKERS, AGRICULTURE, FISHING AND DRIVING
COMMUNICATION:MOBILE PHONE AND INTERNET
EDUCATION:DAYCARE, KINDERGARTEN, ELEMENTARY, HIGHSCHOOL AND SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
HEALTH CENTER:NONE
WATER:DEEP WELL – OWNED BY PHIVIDEC
PUROKMALEFEMALETOTAL
1121109230
2142124266
3122121243
478107185
5134131265
6122110232
7183158341
TOTAL9028601,762

GRADEMALEFEMALETOTAL
KINDERGARTEN322557
GRADE 1463682
GRADE 2322931
GRADE 3262955
GRADE 4273562
GRADE 5392765
GRADE 6283462
TOTAL229215444

GRADEMALEFEMALETOTAL
GRADE 7393271
GRADE 8414485
GRADE 9373067
GRADE 10272552
GRADE 11151530
GRADE 129211
TOTAL168148316

HISTORY
During early times, in this place was thickly growned with two kinds of bamboo called “BALAtaKAN” and “luNAS”. One time the Spanish soldiers were then looking for the Moro who hid in the thickly growned bamboos when the soldiers were distracted by the rustling noise made by the leaves of the bamboo. Then soldiers asked the natives what that noise about, due to their fear, the natives said “BALATAKAN-LUNAS’ in not so loud voice and hurried away. The soldiers misheard it and caught “Balacanas” only. The name stick to this place and until today the place is still called Balacanas. Balacanas grew up and prospered with 5 puroks namely; Baybay, Domo, Tambobong, Centro and Polo.

            Derivation

Baybay – is so called because the district is located along the seashore

Domo  – is so called because of the first founder or settler of the district had a family name DOMO. The place was called in their honor.

Tambobong  –  is so called due to the district higher elevation shaped like a hill

Centro –  is so called due to the fact that it is the center of the barrio’s social, religious, cultural and geographic location.

Polo – is so called because it is surrounded by water.

Story of the old Barrio or Sito

Between the Sitio Domo and Centro was a district called “Tossing”. It was considered as the center of the barrio. However due to people’s main source of income was fishing it was later abandoned and the people transferred near the seashore and called the place “Barra”. This later became the heart of the barrio because of fishing industry and served as the seaport were the natives ship docked to get copra. A destructive flood came and carried most of the houses which led the people to transfer to a better place. There was a move by the people to call this place as “Alegria” instead of Balacanas, but it did not materialized.

Spanish Time

During the Spanish time, the place was always visited by Moros who came to capture the natives to be sold into slavery and to serve as sacrifices (it was believed by the Moros that to sacrifice human Christian blood to appear their spirits will bring forth gold from the mines). It was related by one Mr. Joseph Naelga, deceased, that Dr. Jose Rizal happened to pass and strayed for a day in this place. However, the authenticity of the event could not be established because no proof could verify the same statement. The same person was a veteran of the revolution who fought against the American Forces. During that time, the inhabitants fled to the mountains, and later returned after learning the good intentions of the Americans.

American Occupation

Not much historical importance was noted in this barrio during the American Occupation. However, the barrio greatly improved. The population has greatly increased, notable families sent their children to pursue their studies in higher level. However due to crisis brought about by the end of the world war, their children were recalled home and were not able to continue their studies. During the time of Fr. Sullivan, Parish priest of Tagoloan, the barrio was able to build a bigger Catholic church on the land donated by late Don Isidro Factura popularly known as Cabeza Igok. The people in this barrio are predominantly Catholic. Prominent ladies of the barrio were active leaders of the passage of the Women Suffrage, giving equal rights to women.

During and after World War II

During the Second World War, about half of the inhabintants evacuated in the mountains and plowed the fields. However during the Japanese Occupation, Balacanas served as the trading center for the civilians living in the Japanese and guerilla sectors. Native Boat (Bangka), docked at the inland port (puso) coming from Bohol, Cebu and other places. It served as a central outpost for the guerillas to ambush incoming Japanese, soldiers did not like the situation so they sent their gunboats and shelled the shores and fired mortars from across the Tagoloan River. People and the Allied soldiers could not be driven away, so on fateful day of February 11, 1943, the Japanese soldiers landed on the shores, drove the defending guerrillas and burned all the houses to ashes. The only building left untouched was the Roman Catholic Church. The school building was razed to the ground. Even toilets were not spared. Three civilians were caught during the said raid and were never heard of their whereabouts again. Except for a few who hid during the day and come out only at night time. The people settled in the mountains and plow the fields, when the American force came; people then came back to their barrio and start a new life again. The place was a jungle of think grasses, coconut and young trees. They started to clean the barrio and build their new homes. They brought bananas and other native products to the Americans and their services in exchange for foods and clothing.

In June 16, 1962, the Munucipality of Villanueva, Misamis Oriental was created by virtue of R.A 3492. The newly created Municipality separated from its mother Municipality Tagoloan and was composed of five (5) barrios, namely ; 1. Balacanas, 2. San Martin, 3. Nabacaan (Now Philippine Sinter Corporation), 4. Poblacion and 5. Kimaya.

BARANGAY COUNCIL OF BALACANAS – CY 2018-2020